ROSEMARY HEDGES

This morning, as I was walking to work along the rosemary path, I made a startling discovery.
At first I was not alarmed. (Hyacinth - for those who know)
The gardeners were doing maintenance as usual, 
pruning and weeding.
I could smell the rosemary cuttings a mile away!
But then I noticed the ominous black bags...

They were not just pruning the rosemary.
They were CUTTING it into a box-shaped hedge!

Which is okay, I suppose, if you like that kind of contained, formal approach.

But the black bags!
Yes, they were full of the rosemary branches, twigs, cuttings.  
And they were going to be thrown away :(

I was appalled.
Can't somebody save it, and then eat it?
Why do you throw this loveliness away?????

It was very painful to watch.   I picked up a few stems and thought my heart would break.

Later the afternoon I took my camera for a walk to survey the damage.


The beautiful purple grasses that had sprung up amongst the rosemary, have been mowed down as well, forming a dense thicket in the undergrowth.









cut down to size.
get back in your box!
stay in line!


Some persist in blooming wherever they are, whatever the conditions.


Some don't.   Can't.



Then, a pleasant surprise!




Basil!


I headed down to the roundabout (without heading for France, Richard!)  sorry, Im channeling Hyacinth Bucket tonight.











It smells good.   We will have lamb on Thursday.   It will taste even better.

 Rosemary saved!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk through Quarry Bay Park

Pretty in Pink, Beautiful Blues